AFLCA Player of the Year Award – Round 9, 2012 – I’m Back Baby!
It took me a while to get my ducks (stats) in a row, but I am back with Coaches Award (will go back over the week to add in the old entries) as a weekly look at the Coaches Award that has become one of the most respected awards of the AFL season. So I thought I would start off looking at a few facts of what has gone on that don’t whack you in the face from the stats on this page:
On to the votes for the round (or go to the directly to the Top 20 players here):
- Â Chad Cornes, Toby Greene and Rhys Palmer where the first vote getters for the GWS Giants. Callan Ward and Stephen Coniglio lead the Giants after 9 rounds on 10 votes. Ward taking 4 voting games to get there where as Coniglio did it in 1 game.
- Carlton have had 18 different vote getters over the first 9 rounds to lead the league in that stat where as the least number of vote getters is owned jointly by Melbourne and the Gold Coast. For those interested, Giants have had 13 different vote getters
- Scott Pendlebury, Matthew Boyd, Jobe Watson and Trent Cotchin have all polled in 7 of the 9 rounds to lead the comp in games polled in. All of these players, as you would expect, are in the top 10 currently.
- In the 81 games so far for the season, there have been 45 perfect vote getting games. These games have been shared over 38 different players with only Josh Kennedy and Patrick Dangerfield having 3 perfect scoring games and Scott Pendlebury, Tom Hawkins and Adelaide’s Scott Thompson having got 2 of them!
- The Leaders at each Club are: Adelaide – Scott Thompson, Brisbane – Tom Rockliff, Carlton – Marc Murphy, Collingwood – Scott Pendlebury, Essendon – Brent Stanton, Fremantle – Aaron Sandilands, Geelong – Joel Selwood, Gold Coast – Gary Ablett, GWS Giants – Ward/Coniglio, Hawthorn – Sam Mitchell, Melbourne – Nathan Jones, North Melbourne – Andrew Swallow, Port Adelaide – Travis Boak, Richmond – Trent Cotchin, St Kilda – Lenny Hayes, Sydney – Josh Kennedy, West Coast – Scott Selwood, Western Bulldogs – Matthew Boyd
- 257 players have received at least 1 vote in the Coaches Award. In Fact 35 players have received just 1 vote.
- NRL Convert, Karmichael Hunt is current 89th in the league on 9 votes (3rd best for the Suns). He has polled votes in 3 games currently. Izzy Folau is yet to poll a vote.
Hope you enjoyed those facts. Now for the Votes and the Ladder.